PEC Minutes - June 2017
Minutes of Parish Education Committee Meeting – June 13, 2017
A. Call to order
- Meeting Called to Order at 7:05 PM
- Present: Jason Borkowski, Luisa Cenedese, Viola Baptista, Derek Christo, Deborah Harms, Chris Brant, Layna Neilson, Megan Bolton, Jennifer Friesen, Jacqueline Johnson, Father Anthony Ho
B. Opening Prayer
- Opening Prayer led by Father Anthony.
C. Review of May 9, 2017 Minutes
- Minutes of the May 9, 2017 meeting were approved by email.
D. Discussion Items
1. Chairperson’s Update:
- PEC Elections were held on May 27-28, and we saw a higher voter turnout than previous years. Megan Bolton, Jennifer Friesen, and Deborah Harms were elected and Jacqueline Johnson was appointed to the PEC for 2 year terms. Thank you to our Returning Officer, Lucia Borkowski, and our Scrutineers, Madeline Lloyd and Gerri Tarchuk.
- After voting by the new members the PEC positions for 2017-18 are as follows: Chairperson – Luisa Cenedese, Vice-Chair – Megan Bolton, Treasurer – Chris Brant, Secretary – Deborah Harms, Parent Fundraising Group Chair – Jennifer Friesen, Family Service Coordinator – Layna Neilson, Maintenance Coordinator – Jacqueline Johnson.
- Our first meeting for the 2017-18 school year will be Tuesday August 29 at 7pm.
2. Principal’s Update
- We are expecting a slight decrease in enrollment since the preparation of the preliminary budget. As we may have new families enroll over the summer this small change is not a concern.
- In order to simplify the EduPak school supply order this year all primary grades will cost the same amount and all intermediate grades will cost the same amount. In past years each grade had a different cost for school supplies with the cost increasing for each grade.
3. Financial Report
- The year to date budget was presented showing that everything is on track as budgeted for the school year.
4. Family Service Update
- There are still 60 families who have not submitted their family service hours despite the deadline for Term 2 having already passed. This term there was some confusion regarding the deadline due to the changes to the family service blog in relation to the new website. This will not be an issue next year with our new online tracking system OnVolunteers.
5. Maintenance Update
- This summer we plan to have the lines in the parking lot painted. Chris is gathering quotes for this job.
- The June Work Bee saw a low volunteer turnout however a good amount of work was completed by those who did attend.
6. Parent Fundraising Group (PFG) Update
- No report.
7. Secretary Report
- No report.
8. Vice-Chair Report
- No report.
E. Closing Prayer
- Led by Father Anthony.
F. Meeting Adjourned
- Meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM following the in-camera session.