May 2017 PEC Minutes
Minutes of Parish Education Committee Meeting – May 9, 2017
A. Call to order
- Meeting Called to Order at 7:10 PM
- Present: Jason Borkowski, Luisa Cenedese, Viola Baptista, Derek Christo, Deborah Harms, Chris Brant, Father Anthony Ho
- Absent: Layna Neilson, Megan Bolton
B. Opening Prayer
- Opening Prayer led by Father Anthony.
C. Review of April 11, 2017 Minutes
- Minutes of the April 11, 2017 meeting were approved by email.
D. Discussion Items
1. Chairperson’s Update:
- PEC Elections are coming up the weekend of May 27-28. We currently have 2 nominees; the nomination deadline is May 17. This year there will be 3 elected positions and one appointed position to fill.
2. Principal’s Update
- We have recently hired 3 new staff members for the 2017-18 schoolyear. We welcome two new EAs, Heather Burton and Alexandra Singer, and a new grade 5 teacher, Natalizia Nadeau, to our CCS community.
- This year we received a Learning Resources Grant from the provincial government; this grant will be used to convert the computer lab into a new Learning Resource Room and to purchase a set of iPads. We already have 2 sets of chrome books for the intermediate grades to use; with the addition of the iPads for the primary grades the computer lab will no longer be needed. A new Learning Resource Room will greatly benefit our school.
3. Financial Report
- The preliminary budget for 2017-18 was presented showing a balanced budget. Motion to approve the preliminary budget was made by Derek and seconded by Viola; with all in favor and none opposed the motion was carried.
4. Family Service Update
- No update.
5. Maintenance Update
- The May Work Bee was well attended and many tasks were completed including cleaning up the track.
- At the Work Bee some drainage issues were observed and it was noted that the catch basins are flooded and in need of cleaning. Chris is gathering quotes for this service.
- We plan to have the lines in the parking lot repainted over the summer, so far 2 companies have been contacted to gather quotes for this project. This will be a joint project with the Parish and School both contributing.
6. Parent Fundraising Group (PFG) Update
- For the second year the PFG has raised a gross amount of over $50,000.
- The PFG will be doing a bake sale concession at the upcoming production of Aladdin.
- The GO Bananas Fundraiser is coming up on May 27th.
- We are looking ahead to the 2017-18 school year with plans for a Pub Night fundraiser early in the fall instead of the Entertainment Book sale.
7. Secretary Report
- No report.
8. Vice-Chair Report
- No report.
E. Closing Prayer
- Led by Father Anthony.
F. Meeting Adjourned
- Meeting adjourned at 8:46 PM following the in-camera session.