PEC Minutes - January 2017
MINUTES OF PARISH EDUCATION COMMITTEE MEETING – JANUARY 10, 201
A. Call to order
- Meeting Called to Order at 7:05 PM
- Present: Jason Borkowski, Luisa Cenedese, Viola Baptista, Derek Christo, Deborah Harms, Megan Bolton, Layna Neilson, Chris Brant, Father Anthony Ho
B. Opening Prayer
- Opening Prayer led by Viola Baptista
C. Review of December 15, 2016 Minutes
- Minutes of December 15, 2016 meeting were approved by email.
D. Discussion Items
1. Chairperson’s Update:
- Luisa proposed a motion to deposit some of our funds into the CISVA Chancery fund, which would provide a greater interest rate than our current bank account. Funds can be withdrawn at any time. Sufficient funds for month to month expenses will be kept in our current bank account. Motion seconded by Layna. All in favor and none opposed, motion carried.
2. Principal’s Update
We currently have 303 students in 11 classrooms, with 47 in grade 7. Anticipating 30 students in kindergarten would mean 286 students in 10 classrooms for the 2017-18 school year. Once applications have been received a decision can be made whether to have 2 kindergarten classes or to increase spaces in other grades.
The CCS Open House is coming up on February 5th. All the teachers will be participating. The Open House will be advertised on Facebook and in the BC Catholic.
3. Financial Report
- The budget to date was presented
- Everything is on track for the year as budgeted.
4. Family Service Update
- Updates to the Family Service Policy Manual and Volunteering Guide are needed.
- With so much paper being used with our current reporting system the possibility of a paperless online recording system was discussed.
5. Maintenance Update
- There was very low attendance at the January Work Bee.
- Many families requested last minute tasks in order to complete their Family Service obligations prior to the deadline; however some were unwilling to do the available jobs.
- Individuals unwilling to do available jobs but wanting to complete hours is an ongoing problem. The mandatory Maintenance hours are part of school policy because it allows us to save money by having our parent volunteers complete necessary tasks around the school. In order to ensure that necessary tasks are completed the idea of creating an assigned task system was discussed.
6. Parent Fundraising Group (PFG) Update
- The recent Tree-Chipping event was a success and raised $1330. Unfortunately few volunteers were willing to help out. A big thank you for the volunteers who did help and made this event possible.
- The PFG is in need of more volunteers to help at fundraising events. The possibility of having participation at a fundraising event a mandatory part of Family Service was discussed.
- The CCS Gala is coming up on March 4. Tickets will be available on February 1st and will be $50, with reserved tables available for $500.
7. Secretary Report
- No report.
E. Closing Prayer
- Led by Viola Baptista.
F. Meeting Adjourned
- Meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM following the in-camera session.